Saturday 7 February 2009

Windows Reversi - playing online against an algorithm?

Can somebody please explain to me, why the opponents in the game of Reversi in Windows XP are almost always Greek beginners, German Intermediates or English experts? To me, they seem to be computer algorithms. If I am right, I see two possible explanations: 1) There are not enough Windows users to support online games like this. 2) Humans don't behave according to Microsoft quality standards. I tried to Google this, but didn't find a good explanation. If somebody knows the Greek guy, please tell him that there are books out there that can help him improve.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Greek guy is so busy with delphi because non of the seminars for delphi take place here in Greece.I like othello or reversi but i don't have enough time!!!! also trying to improve my english so i can go to seminars in Europe.

Unknown said...

I keep on getting Polish beginners, on Reversi XP even though i'm a self proclaimed expert. It used to be different on my old laptop, that would not give me beginners. My desktop would though. It's a mistery to me. I do not have the impression that it's a machine. Been playing plenty, against players with differen styles, that do or do not have rudimental conversations with the limited vocabulary

Lars D said...

That's really strange - I don't think that I have ever met a Polish beginner. I'm a self-proclaimed expert, too, but I'd say that I would meet that greek beginner more than 50% of the times that I go online, and it has been like that for at least 5 years.

Unknown said...

It is hard to get rid of the Polish beginners, who seem not to improve one inch assuming indeed that you are indeed playing against a simple computer program.